среда, 3 октября 2012 г.

A unique approach: Michael Wade's background is different from most of the other Scott Robertson competitors. - The Roanoke Times (Roanoke, VA)

Byline: Randy King

May 19--Unlike the majority of the 173 contestants in this year's Scott Robertson Memorial, Michael Wade wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

He didn't grow up in a posh country club setting in which anytime he wanted something he could say, 'Oh, just stick it on Dad's tab, he'll take care of it.'

A new car? Wearing the latest chic-fashion clothes? Forget that.

Nope, Michael Wade grew up on the other side of the tracks. Until eight years ago, deep rough for this kid had nothing to do with a golf course.

'I was went into foster care when I was 5 years old,' Wade said. 'In a four-year span after that, I was in 13 different foster homes.'

Life was difficult. Then he got a much-needed mulligan, courtesy of Marvin and Sandy Wade, who adopted him in 1999. Marvin Wade, a longtime pastor who now preaches God's word at Floyd's Beaver Creek Church of the Brethren, has never made a bigger save.

'Michael come up rough, there was a lot of the bad there,' said Wade, who since has adopted a second child, 7-year-old daughter Sarah. 'He's been great for us. So it's been a blessing both ways.'

When Michael was 10, Marvin Wade introduced his new son to golf. The kid has been swinging a club ever since.

'I was good at baseball and I wanted to play baseball, but I hurt my shoulder somewhere along the way and I couldn't pitch very long,' Michael recalled. 'So I started leaning on golf. I like the atmosphere. It was more relaxed than other sports.'

Being adopted by loving, caring parents and being introduced to a game he now lives and breaths 24/7 makes Michael Wade snicker these days when he turns on The Golf Channel and see the network's 'Big Break' show.

'I'm so fortunate to be brought into the family and situation I have now,' said Wade, his voice cracking in emotion. 'Hey, it's part of my story. It makes me who I am today. It makes me have the will and determination that I have to keep going and to win.'

Wade has won plenty the past few years. Still, there are some naysayers among the area's other top juniors who contend he's stockpiled most of his ever-growing golf resume by beating Class B-caliber talent on such circuits as the Plantation Junior Golf Tour.

'That tour doesn't have the kind of players you'll find in the AJGA,' said Steve Prater, head professional and renowned junior instructor at Roanoke Country Club, site of the Robertson.

'But that's OK. I'm telling you, Michael Wade is legit. He can play the game. He's going to play in college somewhere.'

Wade is playing in his first Robertson. It's the kind of big-time stage against top-notch national competition that he's wanted to experience.

'I had never made the field until this year,' said Wade, who in January's mid-semester break transferred from Bassett High to Floyd High, where he will play golf this fall as a senior.

'I know these guys are the big names, but I can play with them. I just haven't had a chance to prove it yet because I haven't played in a big enough tournament to prove it.'

Finally, he got his shot in Friday's first round of the Robertson. The kid rose to the occasion, posting a rock-solid round of 1-over 72 that leaves him tied for sixth and only three shots off the lead.

'Good, maybe I finally made myself known a little bit,' said Wade, smiling. 'But I'm not done yet. I want to win this thing.'

Marvin Wade was there for every blow Friday.

He couldn't have been prouder of how his kid responded under immense pressure.

'He wants to win,' Marvin said.

'He's got a lot of game, but he hasn't had the chances in life that a lot of kids have had. But he's making the most of it now. Michael feels like this is a big door that has a chance to open up for him.'

If he's anything, Michael Wade is a fighter. Nothing has ever come easy for him. Shoot, he carded a 12-under-par 60 on April 30 at Blacksburg Country Club. As fate would have it, Wade was playing alone, meaning his course-record round wasn't 'official' in the books.

'People probably don't believe it, but I understand that,' Wade said.

'I shot it. It happened. I wouldn't lie. Lying is one thing I can't stand.'

If he can somehow pull off the biggest upset in Robertson history, no further evidence of the validity of Wade's game will be required.

'Think that would show 'em?' a smiling Wade responded. 'Man, I hope so.'

Copyright (c) 2007, The Roanoke Times, Va.

Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

For reprints, email tmsreprints@permissionsgroup.com, call 800-374-7985 or 847-635-6550, send a fax to 847-635-6968, or write to The Permissions Group Inc., 1247 Milwaukee Ave., Suite 303, Glenview, IL 60025, USA.