воскресенье, 16 сентября 2012 г.

Michael Phelps Big Name on Michigan Campus - AP Online

LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
AP Online
01-11-2005
Dateline: ANN ARBOR, Mich.
Michael Phelps was sitting quietly in the third row of a small classroom at Michigan last week when it suddenly became clear he wasn't just another student.

When his name was called during roll, heads turned and eyes locked on the swimming star from the Athens Olympics.

'I was like, 'Here,'' Phelps said Monday. 'I get noticed more than I do back home in Baltimore and it's a little weird, but I'm getting used to it. I also realize and accept that it's part of my life because I want to promote swimming.'

The 19-year-old Phelps certainly did his part in the pool last summer.

He won eight medals _ six golds and two bronzes _ becoming the first American to accomplish the feat and matching the record for most medals won at a single Olympics.

Five months later, Phelps is taking two classes, training, serving as a volunteer coach and settling into his downtown town house.

'The first time I went to the grocery store, I got milk and cereal, but when I got home, I didn't have a bowl or a spoon,' he said. 'I was so lost, being on my own. Everything sat there until I got some bowls and spoons.'

Phelps has also learned some tough lessons since becoming one of the most recognizable names and faces in sports.

He was sentenced to 18 months' probation last month after pleading guilty to drunken driving, stemming from a Nov. 4 traffic stop in Maryland. Phelps said Friday he will be at a hearing to determine whether he will have a suspended or a restricted-driving license.

'The day after it came out, I got on the plane and the guy next to me opened the USA Today and I saw the article about the incident. That was kind of hard,' Phelps said. 'I wasn't used to the bad publicity. I'll continue to learn from that for the rest of my life because it will always be there and it won't go away, even when I talk to kids about not making the same mistake.'

Phelps decided to move to Ann Arbor and resume his education last spring when his coach, Bob Bowman, was hired to lead Michigan and Club Wolverine, a group the Olympian will compete with until the Beijing Games in 2008.

He is not eligible to swim for Michigan because of his endorsement deals with companies such as Speedo, which soon will use Phelps to market its line of underwear.

'I'm going to put a no-briefs clause in my contract when I go for the photo shoot next week,' Phelps said, joking.

When Michigan hosts Northwestern and Indiana on Jan. 21-22, Phelps will swim in one-man exhibitions.

'Even with nobody else is in the pool, trust me, it'll still be fun for people to watch,' said Bowman, who has coached Phelps since he was 11.

It doesn't take long to notice the special bond between Phelps and Bowman.

When Phelps strolled into Bowman's office Monday afternoon with a fleece jacket, workout pants, suede shoes and a Baltimore Orioles hat crooked on his head, Bowman rolled his eyes.

'Nice hat,' Bowman cracked.

'Thanks,' Phelps replied with a smile.

Bowman then asked about his classes _ public speaking and history of sports _ and they chatted for a few minutes.

Phelps said he was going to follow Bowman wherever he went, and was thrilled when he was hired to replace Jon Urbanchek, who retired after 22 years of leading the Wolverines.

Phelps was quick to point out a few old pictures in Bowman's office that showed Phelps wearing Michigan hats.

'I've always wanted to go here,' he said. 'I constantly had Michigan hats and sweat shirts on. I love the colors, maize and blue, and there was always talent here in the pool, with guys like Tom Dolan, Eric Wunderlich and Tom Malchow.

'I wasn't a big college football fan, but I like it now after going to the Michigan-Michigan State game and to see Michigan in the Rose Bowl.'

Phelps plans to earn a degree in sports management, which he would like to use to become a sports agent when his career is over, perhaps after the 2012 Olympics.

'It's weird, I'm actually excited to be going to school again,' said Phelps, who graduated in 2003 from Towson High School in Maryland. 'The last time I was excited about school was when I had gym class in the eighth grade.

'I'm only taking a couple classes because I needed something to get my brain started, because it's been almost two years since I've been in a class.'

Copyright 2005, AP News All Rights Reserved